For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin - real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be seved, a debt to be paid. A last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one. Happiness is a journey, not a destination."

-Souza

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Pass It On...

Think of the people in your life who are the most kind.  Do you devote time to them? Do you surround yourself with people who exhibit kindness and make it a priority to at least attempt to send some back their way?

My friend reminded me of Plato's quotation: "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." It's true meaning has become more clear as the years pass, but I came across it in my first job managing others.  A woman had come into the clinic and was treating everyone terribly.  She offended someone to the point of bringing her to tears.  We finally put her in a private room and I went in to talk to her.  I was livid that she had upset the staff so much, but walked in, sat down and asked what we had done in the 10 minutes that she had been in the clinic to upset her so.  She started weeping.  I was shocked but waited for her to explain.  Turns out her husband had been shopping for groceries the week prior, was bringing them in, and slipped on the back steps.  He had fallen and hit his head.  He passed away that night.   She told me she hadn't cried about it yet- she was trying to be strong for her kids.  The next week at the staff meeting, I told the story and reminded everyone to be kind.  Including me personally.  It was a lesson I often think of and try to hold close.
  
I am on a quest to become a better, kinder version of myself every day.  Sometimes I get so caught up in everything else that I forget the basics.  Everyday life can do that to you.  You get so busy multitasking, going from Point A to Point B and back again that stopping to hold the door for an elderly woman or picking up a toy dropped by the child behind you doesn't happen.  And yet, isn't that truly what it's about? 

When I look at the people in my life I find inspiration.  It took a long time to realize that friendship is always a conscious choice.  It's a choice to devote energy to relationships with the right people.  As it turns out, the friends who are most significant in my life are the kindest people.  They wipe my kids noses and leave potted tulips on my doorstep and ask how I'm doing, how things are going.  I really don't know how I got so lucky.   

When the rush is over, the frantic dash complete, kindness stands alone, casting beams of sunlight after the rain.  Kind.  It is how I remember my mom.  I can only hope to leave such an awesome legacy.

1 comment: